A previously unaired episode from “Lost in Diskspace!” of the Gritty Reboot: What is Pseudoscience? From toxin removal to magnetic bracelets, Dan leads Sam and Becky through understanding why pseudoscientific explanations can be so convincing to even science enthusiasts.
- What is science? So, what is pseudoscience?
- scientific method, null hypothesis, experimentation, replication, peer review
- continental drift
- fraudulent science (Piltdown Man, using academy to hoax)
- Ear candling, foot pads, foot bath “toxin” extraction
- lay lines, ether, acupuncture
- naturalistic fallacy vs. natural remedies verified by science (aspirin)
- copper bracelets vs. high fructose corn syrup
- magnetic bracelets
- The case of the “floating” frog
- Science journalism sensationalizing studies
- IR cold laser treatment
- Quantum…whatever that means
- Paleo dieting, the gluten-free craze, and resveritrol red wine marketing
- Glowing Scorpions