Becky and Meredith discuss participating as Humanists in immigration protests and migrant solidarity events; with Josh, they pick apart racist/antisemitic candidates, “accidental” racist/antisemitic retweets, and being distracted by beauty on airplanes.
Immigration Protests & Solidarity
- This week:
7/2 Monday at 11:00am-1:00pm Demo at USCIS (US Citizenship & Immigration Service), Tukwila
7/3 Tuesday 8:00am – 1pm Demo at ICE Office, Seattle
7/5 Thursday 2pm – 4pm. Walk a Mile In Our Shoes Congressional Visits
7/6 Friday Banner Drop @ Corporations that collaborate with ICE
7/7 Saturday at 11:30am – 4:00pm: We Stand with Immigrants Symposium in Redmond
- In General:
- 9pm nightly there are demonstrations of solidarity with those incarcerated at the Northwest Detention Center in the tideflats/Port of Tacoma. 30 minutes of noise. Families welcome, bring brass and percussion instruments, pots and pans to bang on, noisemakers, anything but whistles. Or, two hands to clap!
- Saturdays are big visiting days at NWDC. Families and individuals drive from far distances to visit loved ones. Bring non-perishable snacks, juice boxes, water bottles, car-ride games and toys for kids, and messages of solidarity and support.
- NWDC Resistance/Resistencia al NWDC has been running actions and demonstrations for more than 5 years; folks with Resistencia have a lot of knowledge
- Consider supporting KIND (Kids in Need of Defense), with offices around the country including Seattl, and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.
- 4th of July Celebrations: Pierce County Atheists are meeting up at 11am in Lakewood’s Fort Steilacoom Park, and Kitsap Atheists are doing a BBQ at Pendergast Regional Park.
- The big event is the Freethinkers Independence Day Potluck Picnic: 1-5 pm in Seattle’s Ravenna Park, co-sponsored by Humanists of Washington and Seattle Atheists. The sponsors are providing grillables and drinks, you bring a side dish! There will be facepainting, field games, and plenty of opportunity to socialize.
- That “America is a Christian nation” billboard in Texas was for a megachurch event called Freedom Sunday, which is probably exactly what you think it is.
- Flight delayed after ultra-orthodox Jewish man refuses to sit next to a woman.
- Dinesh D’Souza hopes that “sleazy, unscrupulous leftists” don’t have a fit over him “accidentally” retweeting the hashtags “Burn The Jews” and “Bring Back Slavery.”
- North Carolina Republican candidate thinks God is a white supremacist and Satan created Jews.
- Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte thinks God is stupid.